To host a secondary school Odyssey event, you will first need to complete and submit an Odyssey Hosting Form.
The next step is to start planning your event. There is no standard format for National Alternative Fuel Vehicle Day Odyssey events. Events may include a classroom discussion about alternative fuels, alternative fuel vehicles, or advanced technology vehicles to a science fair with student projects focusing on cleaner transportation technologies. You are limited only by imagination and the amount of time and support available to you.
We encourage you to create a unique, educational, and fun event that fits your students’ needs and that incorporates the following four elements:
1) Target audience of students in grades 7 – 12 (additional audiences can be included with required audience)
2) Activities that focus on one or more of the following and their benefits:
- alternative fuels, such as ethanol, biodiesel, hydrogen, propane, and natural gas
- alternative fuel vehicles (AFVs), including those powered by biodiesel, ethanol, natural gas, propane, and hydrogen
- advanced technology vehicles, including battery electric vehicles (BEVs), hybrid electric vehicles (HEVs), plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEVs), and fuel cell electric vehicles (FCEVs)
3) Volunteer to take at least six interesting photos of your event highlights. (Required deliverable)
4) Student surveys to be completed by each student and submitted to the NAFTC after the event takes place. (Required deliverable)
Once you submit your application to host an Odyssey event, you will receive log-in information for the “Coordinator’s Corner” section of the Odyssey website. There you will find the secondary school event planning notebook to use as a guide while planning your event.
The notebook includes sample activities, helpful links, Odyssey graphics, templates for flyers and posters, a sample lesson plans, suggestions for promoting your event, and other useful information.
You will also have the support of the NAFTC Odyssey team, who will be available to answer questions by phone or email, Monday – Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. EST.
Stay tuned for possible funding opportunities for 2014 Odyssey.
For additional information about hosting a 2014 secondary school National AFV Day Odyssey event, please call or email:
The Odyssey Team